After years of deteriorating conditions at Greenwich, the Observatory moved to Herstmonceux Castle in Sussex. The move began in 1948 and was completed in 1957. While at Herstmonceux, the Observatory was officially known as The Royal Greenwich Observatory, Herstmonceux.
The Observatory remained at Herstmonceux until the end of the 1980s when it moved once again; this time to Cambridge. The site at Herstmonceux was sold in May 1989 and closed in 1990. It was subsequently acquired in 1993 by Queen's University, of Ontario, Canada. The equatorial group of telescopes is currently in the care of the Observatory Science Centre and can be visited by the public as can the Castle grounds and gardens.
This section of the website is currently divided into three main parts (links below). Information on the Observatory's adminstration, publications, telescopes etc. can be accessed via the tabs to the left.
The installation of the Cooke Reversible Transit Circle and the construction of its pavilion
Transfer of the 28-inch Refractor from Herstmonceux to Greenwich in 1971
Herstmonceux Castle in old photographs (1850–1910)
Herstmonceux Castle (eighteenth century engravings)
1930–1972 by Donald H Sadler, former Superintendent of HM Nautical Almanac Office
1948–1990 by George Alan Wilkins, former Superintendent of HM Nautical Almanac Office
1951–1957 by Phillip Gething, former Scientific Officer in the Meridian Department