Herstmonceux Castle has been described as the finest early brick building in England. Begun in 1441, it was partially dismantled in 1777. It remained a ruin until the early 20th century when it was converted back into a residence. It was occupied by the Royal Observatory from 1948 until the end of the 1980s when the Observatory was moved to Cambridge.
The ruins were a popular visitor attraction and featured in the catalogues of several well known photographic publishers. They were also popular with the publishers of postcards. The photographs on this page have all been scanned from original albumen prints, some of which were mounted and some of which were unmounted.