Operations with the PZT commenced in 1955. It took over time-determination from Small Transit C on 16 October 1957. It was superseded by the satellite laser ranger, which had been brought into use at Herstmonceux in 1983. Operation of the PZT ceased on 30 June 1984. It was then mothballed by the National Maritime Museum, with a view to it possibly being put on public display at Greenwich in due course. In the end, it was turned down by the National Maritime Museum and transferred to the Science Museum instead (Object No. 1990-758).
Reports of the Board of Visitors:
|1944 p.5||1945 pp.5–6||1946 pp.4–6||1947 pp.6–8||1948 p.8|
|1949 pp.7–8||1950 pp.8–9||1951 pp.7–8||1952 pp.7–9||1953 pp.7–8|
|1954 p.4||1955 p7||1956 p.5|