Royal Observatory Greenwich – postcard collection

Estimated date
Daniell Brothers Ltd., Lewisham
Publisher's title
The Observatory, Greenwich Park.
Nominal size
5.5 x 3.5 inches (real photograph)
Publisher/printer ref.
Website ref.

This is the only known image that shows the new courtyard gates that were hung in 1905. Soon after their erection, they were replaced by the old gates which had by then been repaired. It is not known if the original intention was for the new gates to be temporary or permanent. The dip at the top would have reduced the privacy of those in the courtyard which may have been deemed undesirable. They (or a very similar pair) were re-erected in January 1923 and remained in use until 1937/8.